Tuesday, July 27, 2010

succulent garden!



sunday was another busy day for me...with all this business you'd expect me to be exhausted but you know what..i'm feel pretty good!  i have been really wanting to do some gardening especally since i have 3 pots that contain dead flowers in them...it is quite sad really. my icelandic poppies have been dead since may! but boy where they gorgeous! i would run to the store right now if they were in season!  it was sooo cold this winter that the frost killed two of my succulents and to make matters worse one was a wedding gift from our landlord! i was very sad that it died...but we have this really cute tiny cactus that given more room can grow up to 6ft tall! so now he has a new happy home :)


by our communial laundry room there is a HUGE patch of sedum succulents and someone had ripped out two buckets worth of these guys and i had been meaning to ask my landlord if anyone had claimed them and to my happy surprise no one did! she was happy to fork them over to us as she knows me and the mister are kinda succulent crazy... so i decided to go to osh hardware and pick up some flowers for one of my pots along with some succulent dirt and these really cute ground cover sedums...i am pretty happy with the results..i have couple of different species of poppies that look like they are about to die but i am giving them one more chance before it is time to plant something new.. :)



i am by no means a gardener and when we moved to our little casa over a year ago i totally thought i could plant all kinds of things... mom used to garden all the time and she always did an amazing job and i thought well if she can do it, i can do it too! well first of all our dirt is not dirt it is clay and it is the hardest thing to dig in...so it takes A LOT of motivation to play around in our garden...secondly...i don't have the time i thought i was going to have to tend to my flowers and veggies so i have started a succulent and cactus garden...if someone where to ask me any advice on how to garden my first piece of advise is to first realize what type of gardener you are...if you have all the time and patience in the world i say go crazy but if you are like me and have no time but want a pretty lush garden...succulents may be your best friend! i love each and everyone of my succulents and cacti..they are so happy and easy to care for and they LOVE the northern cali weather!


whats in your garden?

xo,
cb

11 comments:

  1. oh, I love those succulents! Believe it or not, I've even had bad luck with those... I always over water. they look great! what a great find...

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh no! just remember succulents & cacti can go every 7-10 days without water and sometimes even more depending on where you live...don't give up try again!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. considering i don't have a garden, i find yours impressive ! <3 wish i could offer some tips but no green thumb here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those succelents look so cool! Like the cacti version of cabbages! Your garden looks great! :)

    ♥ Teresa ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cacti make me think of my Grandpa... he always used to have a bunch of them in his bedroom, in the window seal... haha :)

    These are beautiful photos!

    Love,
    Aya of Strawberry Koi

    ReplyDelete
  6. The plants look beautiful. As soon as we get more outside space I can't wait to do some gardening stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bought my first succulent in June and adore it so much! Your garden is basically my ultimate dream. Also, what is succulent dirt/soil? Is there a special kind to buy?

    ReplyDelete
  8. melissa: it is just dirt with pumace rocks in it...it is actually used for cactus..i buy whatever is at the store but you can mix soil & sand too!

    do you know what succulent you bought? i would love to see!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great little succulent garden you planted. It looks wonderful. As long as you don't overwater they should do great. I live in northern CA too. I am a succulent freakazoid. I would have every one if I could. We had a really cold winter this last year and I lost quite a few of my hundred of succulents but I learned a lesson. If they are planted in the ground when it starts to get cold cover them with leaves that fall from your trees. Or gather up your neighbors. I did this with my front planter that is full of echeveria's and they all survived. Granted I had to take the leaves off when spring came but it was worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Candy: what a great tip! i will totally use that next winter thanks! have you heard of cactus jungle? they are in berkley and they are AMAZING! if you are ever in the bay area you should check them out!

    ReplyDelete

thanks for commenting! it fills me with joy that you have taken the time to stop by!
xo,
cb