Thursday, October 7, 2010

the mayans had it right

on wednesday of our magical honeymoon, we rented a car and drove an hour south to the the mayan ruins of tulum. it was a straight shoot there, pretty easy but i didn't drive....thanks honeybuns for driving the crazy street of mexico!!!! and when i mean crazy i mean people have no regard to lanes down in mexico....

on our way to tulum there is an amusement park called xcaret (pronounced sh-car-et) it sounds like fun and looks like tons of fun but we just couldn't justify the money so we skipped it but their sign was just oh soo cute!

the ruins were a ways away from the parking lot. up a couple of stairs through a tunnel and then this was what you walked into this......


i mean breath taking, no? a couple of years back we went to chichen itza which is also truly amazing. but this was tropical, small and a bit more personal and on a cliff next to azure colored water! the mayans had it right! they were such a beautiful people filled with wonderful religious rituals, art and architecture. i love learning about the mayans and then visiting these ancient grounds....makes me feel like i have come home...
could you imagine living here? i could, it would be the perfect life....i would just ask my closest friends and family...some chickens and of course internet to keep in touch with all my pals ;D

it was soo hard not to take a bad picture here...everything was just so amazing, lush and beautiful.

everywhere you turned there were iguanas of all sizes just hanging out..doing what they do best...

after we walked around it was time to take a dip! the sun was out that day and it was blazing so it was so refreshing to take a dip in the warm water...it felt so amazing to be in the water where the ancient mayans once swam doing exactly what they probably did on those hot extreme days. i saved my awesome vintage two piece for this day but didn't take any pictures with my camera...that was saved for our twin lens camera which we still need to develop...those are gonna be amazing i am sure cause we bought colored film instead of the black white we used last time.


there are soo many other ruins i would love to go visit like coba and xcambo...tomorrow i'll share our mexican treasures we came home with :)

xo,
cb

15 comments:

  1. Yay this makes me so happy! Isn't it amazing there? The blue water was my favorite part seeing as it was so so so hot and humid when we went. It's good to see your pictures...makes me want to go back! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That water looks so inviting and beautiful! It looks like you guys mostly had the pace to yourself, that must have been nice. It looks like an amazing place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh wow, wow, wow - I SO wish I was there! What a magical place to visit on your honeymoon. Beautiful pics. Can't wait to see your 2 lens pics too :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. have I mentioned how jealous I am of this trip...well I am :) The photos are beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  5. i SO want to take an adventure there!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! That is so neat! I am jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks like the perfect honeymoon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so jealous you've really been there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi lovely,
    Thank you so much for your comment on my blog. It brought a smile to my face.

    How amazing are your pictures? What a beautiful place...
    x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, everything looks so gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. ohh, those beach pictures are so lovely. thanks for sharing.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW! That place looks absolutely amazing. I hope I'll get to go there someday...I know I'd love it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. SO gorgeous! I want to go now :-)

    ReplyDelete

thanks for commenting! it fills me with joy that you have taken the time to stop by!
xo,
cb